04 January 2009

fun birthday stuff

a friend of mine turned 50 and i attended her surprise party saturday night. i knew i wanted to give her a couple of cupcakes. she loves antiques, so i thought putting them on a small vintage cake stand would make for a good presentation. i didn't really find any small cake stands and i was getting frustrated that i could not find what i was looking for. but then i found this cute little toy drum! i knew my friend L would love it, and it made for a perfect, think out of the box, cupcake stand.
i also thought that anyone turning 50 should have a crown to call their own. L also loves paper crafts so making her a paper crown was another little gift i knew she would love. my kids picked up crowns on a recent lunch at burger king. they were the perfect base for creating my crown for L. here is a photo of it flat.... (just click on the photo to see it enlarged)

and here is a (fuzzy, my camera doesn't do well with glittery, sparkly, stuff) photo of it put together. i used old dictionary paper, sparkle/glitter paper, ribbon, lace, and WA-LA a crown for the birthday queen. happy birthday L!!! i had such a good time at your party!

this crown was so easy to make that i think i will make one for myself....just to wear, when ever i feel like it. maybe it could become my 'mom is in a bad mood crown'....it is sure to lift my spirits when i get cranky and it would be fair warning to the boys and my husband that i might growl!

1 comment:

Lauri ~ Vintage Arts Studio said...

Kathi!!! I love that you put this on your blog!!! It was so fun to be surprised for my birthday and to have all my friends around me to help celebrate my Big 5-0!! And my special birthday crown... I love it - especially that you made it special for me!!! I, of course, have it displayed prominently in my studio!! See you soon!

Love you!! Lauri

thanks for visiting

for your listening pleasure


site meter